Curly hair doesn’t have to be hard to manage. Read on to learn nineteen hacks that will give you the easiest, most gorgeous curls of your life!
1. If it’s going to rain, don’t wash your hair!
Humidity is your worst enemy when it comes to frizz. Avoid it by spritzing a combination of water and leave-in conditioner like DevaCurl's B′Leave-In Curl Boost and Volumizer over your hair instead of washing.
2. Start from your tips when detangling.
Brushing from the top down is a common cause of breakage try DevaCurl's No-Comb Detangling Spray. By starting from the tips, not only is it more gentle on your hair, but it’s a lot easier to get through badly-tangled knots!
3. Don’t use a brush.
A wide-tooth comb, or even your fingers, will be a lot more gentle on your curls, meaning less breakage. This will also help you preserve your curls’ natural shape.
4. Have super dry hair? Skip shampoo and wash with conditioner.
Do this once or twice a week to help repair and prevent fluffy hair. You should also be using a mask like Pureology's Hydrate Hydra Whip.
5. Place plastic wrap over your sink.
The wrap will catch every hair that falls out when you’re detangling, so you don’t have to worry about clogging it!
6. Comb your hair before stepping out of the shower.
Make sure to do it while there’s still conditioner in your hair (be generous with your application). Waiting to comb your hair will only cause frizz.
7. Create a cleansing conditioner with one part shampoo and three parts conditioner.
Focus this mixture on your roots and allow it to sit for a few minutes before rinsing. Try DevaCurl's One Condition Decadence Ultra Moisturizing Milk Conditioner. This will allow you to wash the oilier parts of your hair without drying them out.
8. Dry with a t-shirt instead of a towel.
Towel fibers will be too rough on your strands and promote frizz while a soft t-shirt will be gentle on your hair. Plus, it won’t soak up as much moisture which also helps prevent frizz.
9. Sleep on silk or satin.
Doing this will help keep tangles from forming while cotton will leave hair knotted and more prone to breakage.
10. Lock in moisture with a shower cap.
Apply some deep conditioner, like PRAVANA’s Nevo 60 Second Deep Treatment, to your hair and place a shower cap over it before stepping under the water. The steam will help maximize the hydration benefits of your product.
11. If you plan to let your hair air dry, gather it into a loose bun or ponytail on the top of your head.
This will help give your curls more definition while preventing frizz.
12. Condition your hair with coconut oil before washing.
This will leave them super soft when you step out of the shower.
13. If your strands are extremely dry, rub coconut oil into your ends while styling.
This will help give them a shine.
14. Stiff curls? Apply hair oil.
This is an easy way to give them back their bounce. Try PRAVANA's Nevo Hydra Pearl Replenishing Hair Oil it is a concentrated elixir full of antioxidants that leaves hair revived, stronger and with more shine.
15. Combine your styling cream with leave-in conditioner.
Combine DevaCurl's Styling Cream and DevaCurl's B′Leave-In Curl Boost and Volumizer. By doing this will help give your hair the hydration it needs while it curls. Just apply the mixture and style as usual.
16. Leave a little bit of conditioner in your hair.
Your tips are the driest part of your hair, so they can really use the moisture!
17. Take full advantage of your blowout by separating and twisting your locks before bed.
You will wake up with gorgeous waves instead of weird kinks.
18. Apply a deep conditioner pre-workout.
The heat from your exercise will make your product all the more effective, leaving you with ultra-soft locks. Try DevaCurl's One Condition Decadence Ultra Moisturizing Milk Conditioner.
19. Limp curls? Combine water with leave-in conditioner and spray it onto the ends of your hair, then style.
This is excellent for days when you go without washing.
If you can think of anyone else who might benefit from this article, please share it!