Red hair is the stuff of legends. Call it ginger if you wish—but never carrot top! Red hair—in shades from bright strawberry to deep, dark auburn—has captured the hearts and minds of writers, fashion stylists and the general public for generations!
Though so many love these rich shades of red, it can also be a tricky color to maintain as it can be prone to fading. To maintain that salon-fresh, head-turning red, follow a few simple rules:
- Talk to your stylist in detail about the best, longest lasting color available. We use Milk Shake products at Brick & Mirror for maximum color. When you’re talking red, it’s important to begin with a color brand that’s top-shelf.
- Use a hair gloss. After your hair has been color processed, use a product like Milk Shake Incredible Oil. This is an intensive leave-in treatment that helps prevent split ends and protects the hair from heat and other stress factors.
- Limit the number of times you wash your hair during the week—instead, try a dry shampoo to freshen your locks. When you do wash your hair, use cooler water and a color-depositing shampoo and conditioner, such as Pureology Reviving Red Shampoil and Reflective Conditioner.
- Remember, leave-in conditioner is your friend! It will also help to maintain your brilliant red tresses for much, much longer! Pureology Colour Fanatic Multi-Tasking Hair Beautifier is a leave-in conditioner, heat protectant and anti-frizz serum that’s easy to use and gentle enough for everyday care.
- As we all know, red heads are generally more susceptible to the sun than most people. This is true of color-processed red hair as well. Whatever products you use, make sure they include an SPF to minimize sun damage and fading.
Now that you know more about how to limit the dreaded red-hair fade, watch Brick & Mirror’s Nicholas Mirabella as he restores a guest at Brick and Mirror's hair to a deep red wine color.